S.S. Aurania
S.S. Aurania 04/02/1918
Displacement: 13936 grt.
Length: 109.7m. Beam: 14.7 m. Draught: 7.4 m.
Propulsion: 2 x Steam turbines, four double ended boilers, twin shaft, twin screws
Machinery: Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend
Complement: Unknown
Men Lost: 8 + 1 a month later.
Armament: Yes
Length: 109.7m. Beam: 14.7 m. Draught: 7.4 m.
Propulsion: 2 x Steam turbines, four double ended boilers, twin shaft, twin screws
Machinery: Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend
Complement: Unknown
Men Lost: 8 + 1 a month later.
Armament: Yes
History
Built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend and launched in 1917 for the Cunard Steamship Co. Ltd.
Sheffield Evening Telegraph - Friday 19 December 1913
New Cnnard Liner. The Steamship Company hare placed a contract with Messrs. Swan, Hunter, and Wigham Richardson (Limited), Wallsend-on-Tyne, builders the Mauretania, Franconia, and Laconia, for a new steamer for the Canadian trade similar the Andania and Alaunia. The name of the new steamer is to be Aurania.
New Cnnard Liner. The Steamship Company hare placed a contract with Messrs. Swan, Hunter, and Wigham Richardson (Limited), Wallsend-on-Tyne, builders the Mauretania, Franconia, and Laconia, for a new steamer for the Canadian trade similar the Andania and Alaunia. The name of the new steamer is to be Aurania.
Liverpool Echo - Thursday 30 March 1916
The construction of the new passenger and cargo steamer Aurania at the yard of Messrs. Swan Hunter, and Wigham Richardson, Limited, has been and is still delayed by pressure of Government work.
The construction of the new passenger and cargo steamer Aurania at the yard of Messrs. Swan Hunter, and Wigham Richardson, Limited, has been and is still delayed by pressure of Government work.
The Loss
The S.S. Aurania was fitted out as a troopship and was used for moving troops and supplies from the USA to Europe.
On the 4th February 1918 the S.S Aurania was outward bound to New York, with 8 passengers, when the ship struck by a torpedo fired from the German submarine UB 67 (Gerhard Schulz). This took place 15 miles off the north coat of Ireland.
Eight crew died in the attack which disabled the S.S Aurania but still afloat.
Taken in tow but during a gale the tow rope parted the S.S. Aurania later stranded near Tobermory on the Isle of Mull where the ship broke up.
On the 4th February 1918 the S.S Aurania was outward bound to New York, with 8 passengers, when the ship struck by a torpedo fired from the German submarine UB 67 (Gerhard Schulz). This took place 15 miles off the north coat of Ireland.
Eight crew died in the attack which disabled the S.S Aurania but still afloat.
Taken in tow but during a gale the tow rope parted the S.S. Aurania later stranded near Tobermory on the Isle of Mull where the ship broke up.
Barbados Agricultural Reporter - Monday 11 February 1918
February 7.—The Cunard liner Aurania, 13,400 tons, was torpedoed by a German submarine within the last 48 hours while bound for the United States, it was learned from officials of the Cunard Line to-day. Although badly damaged by the explosion, the ship was not sunk, and is believed to be making her way back to port with the assistance of Government vessels. The ship carried but little cargo. There were 13 or 14 passengers aboard when she was struck, it was stated at the office of the Cunard Line. No additional particulars were as yet available, it was stated. The Aurania is a sister ship to the Cunard liner Andania, sunk by a submarine last month She was built in 1915 at Newcastle-on-Tyne. The ship was 530 feet long, 60 feet broad, and had accommodation for 550 passengers in the cabin and 2,000 in the steerage.
February 7.—The Cunard liner Aurania, 13,400 tons, was torpedoed by a German submarine within the last 48 hours while bound for the United States, it was learned from officials of the Cunard Line to-day. Although badly damaged by the explosion, the ship was not sunk, and is believed to be making her way back to port with the assistance of Government vessels. The ship carried but little cargo. There were 13 or 14 passengers aboard when she was struck, it was stated at the office of the Cunard Line. No additional particulars were as yet available, it was stated. The Aurania is a sister ship to the Cunard liner Andania, sunk by a submarine last month She was built in 1915 at Newcastle-on-Tyne. The ship was 530 feet long, 60 feet broad, and had accommodation for 550 passengers in the cabin and 2,000 in the steerage.
The Wreck
The S.S. Aurania has the UKHO Wreck Card 2651 which was created in 1969 taken from the Lloyds Report. The entry says ''ship drifted ashore between Calaich Pt & Calgary Bay, Isle of Mull on 6.2.1918 & 18.2.1918. Was total loss.
The card was updated in 1970 after a report by diver J Brooks. '' Reported to be in 563557.5N, 061911W. Lying E/W at right angles to cliff. Covers an area not less than 550 ft by 80 ft.''
1970 the card was updated by the Board of Trade ''Wk soon to be sold for salvage of non-ferrous metals to a Mr Greeves''
In 1972 divers from RAF Conningby dived the wreck and the card was updated in 1973 with a new position, 563600N, 061936W.
The description of the wrecksite was provided, ''Considerable wreckage scattered over area. Main boilers and bows intact''
The articles below appeared then in a local newspaper to the RAF base.
Horncastle News - Thursday 09 November 1972
Diving for silver Twenty members of the RAF Coningsby British Sub Aqua Club have just returned from a highly successful fortnight’s diving expedition to the Isle of Mull, off the West coast of Scotland. All the diving and camping equipment:, food, etc., was transported up to the Isle of Mull by a three ton lorry. The remainder of the expedition members travelled at their own expense by a rather arduous fourteen hour journey by British Rail. Diving operations commenced with the search for the wreck of the 9,000 ton Danish freighter “Rondo”, which sank in 1935 when she struck Green Island in the Sound of Mull. The whole day was spent searching for her, unsuccessfully. The first of many lobsters and crayfish were caught, and a number of cages were built at the camp site in which the crustacea were kept fresh in the waters of Loch-na-Keal ready to be cooked when required. By the second day the new echo sounder, paid for solely by club members, was fully operational, and the wreck of the “Rondo” was located with no difficulty. She lies vertically down a cliff face at an angle of 70 deg., with her stern towards the surface. Her rudder is still intact, but her propeller has been removed by a salvage firm. Further diving was carried out in Loch Buie, where they found the wreck of a large freighter located on a previous year’s expedition. She is a collier, carrying anthracite, and is around 300 ft. long. She is a mystery ship, as no-one knows how or when she sank or even her name. The next wreck was that of the huge Cunard liner, the “Aurania”. She was only on her seventh voyage when ;she was torpedoed on 2nd ‘February, 1918, Her sheer size amazed most of the divers and a considerable amount of souvenirs were retrieved by members, including countless portholes, brass stop-cocks from the engine rooms, numerous types of bottles, plates with the original Cunard markings on, solid .silver knives and forks all recovered from what must have been a small galley or bar. Numerous dives were carried out in Loch-na- Keal, around the islands of Luch Kenneth and Ecarsa. The marine life was most prolific here, and a considerable number of scallops were regularly collected here for consumption at night to supplement the curry and rice pudding diet.
Lincolnshire Echo - Monday 11 December 1972
LANTERNS portholes a brass compass stand and other naval souvenirs are just a few of the interior decorations at RAF Coningsby The souvenirs are the result of Coningsby’s sub-aqua club’s recent two-week expedition to the west coast of Scotland and they decorate the club’s premises Using a new echo sounder the divers located the wreck of the huge Cunard liner “Aurania” which was torpedoed during the First World War and which sank after running aground on the northwest coast of Mull
The card was updated in 1970 after a report by diver J Brooks. '' Reported to be in 563557.5N, 061911W. Lying E/W at right angles to cliff. Covers an area not less than 550 ft by 80 ft.''
1970 the card was updated by the Board of Trade ''Wk soon to be sold for salvage of non-ferrous metals to a Mr Greeves''
In 1972 divers from RAF Conningby dived the wreck and the card was updated in 1973 with a new position, 563600N, 061936W.
The description of the wrecksite was provided, ''Considerable wreckage scattered over area. Main boilers and bows intact''
The articles below appeared then in a local newspaper to the RAF base.
Horncastle News - Thursday 09 November 1972
Diving for silver Twenty members of the RAF Coningsby British Sub Aqua Club have just returned from a highly successful fortnight’s diving expedition to the Isle of Mull, off the West coast of Scotland. All the diving and camping equipment:, food, etc., was transported up to the Isle of Mull by a three ton lorry. The remainder of the expedition members travelled at their own expense by a rather arduous fourteen hour journey by British Rail. Diving operations commenced with the search for the wreck of the 9,000 ton Danish freighter “Rondo”, which sank in 1935 when she struck Green Island in the Sound of Mull. The whole day was spent searching for her, unsuccessfully. The first of many lobsters and crayfish were caught, and a number of cages were built at the camp site in which the crustacea were kept fresh in the waters of Loch-na-Keal ready to be cooked when required. By the second day the new echo sounder, paid for solely by club members, was fully operational, and the wreck of the “Rondo” was located with no difficulty. She lies vertically down a cliff face at an angle of 70 deg., with her stern towards the surface. Her rudder is still intact, but her propeller has been removed by a salvage firm. Further diving was carried out in Loch Buie, where they found the wreck of a large freighter located on a previous year’s expedition. She is a collier, carrying anthracite, and is around 300 ft. long. She is a mystery ship, as no-one knows how or when she sank or even her name. The next wreck was that of the huge Cunard liner, the “Aurania”. She was only on her seventh voyage when ;she was torpedoed on 2nd ‘February, 1918, Her sheer size amazed most of the divers and a considerable amount of souvenirs were retrieved by members, including countless portholes, brass stop-cocks from the engine rooms, numerous types of bottles, plates with the original Cunard markings on, solid .silver knives and forks all recovered from what must have been a small galley or bar. Numerous dives were carried out in Loch-na- Keal, around the islands of Luch Kenneth and Ecarsa. The marine life was most prolific here, and a considerable number of scallops were regularly collected here for consumption at night to supplement the curry and rice pudding diet.
Lincolnshire Echo - Monday 11 December 1972
LANTERNS portholes a brass compass stand and other naval souvenirs are just a few of the interior decorations at RAF Coningsby The souvenirs are the result of Coningsby’s sub-aqua club’s recent two-week expedition to the west coast of Scotland and they decorate the club’s premises Using a new echo sounder the divers located the wreck of the huge Cunard liner “Aurania” which was torpedoed during the First World War and which sank after running aground on the northwest coast of Mull
Between 1983 and 1997 other updated were added mostly describing the wreck with information taken from the books ''Dive NW Scotland'' Gordon Ridley (1985) and ''Argyll Shipwrecks'' by Peter Moir & Ian Crawford (1994).
In 2012 the wreck was surveyed by Netsurvey in position 5636.108N, 0619.531W. a multi beam suvey showed ''Three items consisting of two groups of boilers each and an area of debris closer inshore.''
In 2012 the wreck was surveyed by Netsurvey in position 5636.108N, 0619.531W. a multi beam suvey showed ''Three items consisting of two groups of boilers each and an area of debris closer inshore.''
Crew Lost 04/02/1918
Name - EDWARDS, L. (43)
DOB - 1874
Place of Birth -Wigan
Parents -
Early History -
Rank - Trimmer, Mercantile Marine
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
DOB - 1874
Place of Birth -Wigan
Parents -
Early History -
Rank - Trimmer, Mercantile Marine
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
Name - KING, D. G. (22)
DOB - 1895
Place of Birth -
Parents -
Early History -
Rank - Seaman Mercantile Marine
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
DOB - 1895
Place of Birth -
Parents -
Early History -
Rank - Seaman Mercantile Marine
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
Name - O'BRIEN, James (26)
DOB - 1891
Place of Birth -Limerick
Parents - Son of the late John and Helena O'Brien
Early History - Husband of Anne O'Brien (nee Toole), of 46, Great Howard St. Liverpool
Rank - Fireman, Mercantile Marine
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
DOB - 1891
Place of Birth -Limerick
Parents - Son of the late John and Helena O'Brien
Early History - Husband of Anne O'Brien (nee Toole), of 46, Great Howard St. Liverpool
Rank - Fireman, Mercantile Marine
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
Name - SKILLING, Augustus (40)
DOB - 1878
Place of Birth - Liverpool
Parents - Son of Eliza and the late William James Skilling
Early History - Husband of Frances Skilling (nee Harden), of 57, Lyell St., Everton, Lancs
Rank - Trimmer, Mercantile Marine
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
DOB - 1878
Place of Birth - Liverpool
Parents - Son of Eliza and the late William James Skilling
Early History - Husband of Frances Skilling (nee Harden), of 57, Lyell St., Everton, Lancs
Rank - Trimmer, Mercantile Marine
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
Name - SPEDDING, William Joseph (33)
DOB -
Place of Birth - Liverpool
Parents - Son of Francis and Mary Ann Spedding of 33, Bedford Place, Seaforth, Lancs
Early History -
Rank - Third Engineer, Mercantile Marine
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
DOB -
Place of Birth - Liverpool
Parents - Son of Francis and Mary Ann Spedding of 33, Bedford Place, Seaforth, Lancs
Early History -
Rank - Third Engineer, Mercantile Marine
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
Name - STOCKDALE, William John (37)
DOB -
Place of Birth - Liverpool
Parents - Son of the late James and Esther Stockdale
Early History - Husband of Bridget Stockdale (nee Kehoe), of 18, Epsom St., Liverpool
Rank - Fireman, Mercantile Marine,
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
DOB -
Place of Birth - Liverpool
Parents - Son of the late James and Esther Stockdale
Early History - Husband of Bridget Stockdale (nee Kehoe), of 18, Epsom St., Liverpool
Rank - Fireman, Mercantile Marine,
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
Name - TATTERSALL, Joseph (36)
DOB -
Place of Birth - Bootle
Parents - Son of the late William and Anne Tattersall;
Early History - Husband of Mary Catherine Tattersall (formerly Munroe, nee Tickle), of 39, Paxton St., Liverpool.
Rank - Fireman, Mercantile Marine,
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
DOB -
Place of Birth - Bootle
Parents - Son of the late William and Anne Tattersall;
Early History - Husband of Mary Catherine Tattersall (formerly Munroe, nee Tickle), of 39, Paxton St., Liverpool.
Rank - Fireman, Mercantile Marine,
Service History - Remembered on the Tower Hill Memorial
18/03/1918
James Sutton is listed with CWGC as being a victim of the attack on S.S. Aurania despite his death being over a month later. It is possible he was badly injured from the torpedoing or subsequent wreck and later died from his injuries ?
Tower Hill Memorial
Tower Hill Memorial Photo: LiWD



